Sunday, January 18, 2009

Our Thanksgiving Week

Last Tuesday the missionaries woke us up a little after 7 to tell us good-bye. Elder Belnap and Elder Delimont were leaving. We took pictures. By then everyone else was up so the day began. The guys from Lowe’s came and delivered our new second fridge and took away our old second fridge. Then Bob and I cleaned up the storage room. It looks nice in there. Charles took all the kids on a walk except Nathan. They even took Sugar. Charles is so good with the kids and they love him. Stephenie mopped all the floors while the kids were gone. When they got home, we all headed for Cici’s Pizza for lunch. Charles went on splits with the missionaries. Robbie and his family came over soon after we got home. Then everyone—except me—went to Love Park again. Charles met them there. I stayed home and took a nap. All four of the missionaries came home around 3ish. Our new Spanish speaking missionary is Elder Pope from Bountiful, Utah and the new English speaking missionary is Elder Hebel from Taylorsville, Utah. I think I’m going to like these two new ones. All the others got home shortly thereafter. We visited for a while then a little before 6 we ALL left to go to Rosa’s Café. The four missionaries went with us. We had just gotten our food when I noticed the time. I had to be at the stake trailers in 10 minutes to get my temple recommend signed and Bob had interviews at the Tin Top Activity Center. We left all the kids and missionaries; I dropped Bob off at the intersection of I-20 and Tin Top then headed for the trailers. I got a phone call from Bob—I had his keys to the building! I went on to the stake trailers, had my interview, went back to the Tin Top Activity Center and gave Bob his keys, then went back to Rosa’s Café. They were almost ready to come home. Eric followed me back over to the Tin Top Activity Center and dropped Bob’s truck off then we went home and visited until Robbie & Beth and Eric & Angela left to go to see the movie “Twilight”. The kids watched “The Chronicles of Narnia”. I went to bed before everyone got home from the movie. Rob and Beth took Emma and Eden home with them. Lauren and Landon spent the night. Wednesday morning I fixed French Toast for breakfast. Everyone did laundry during the day. Bob left to go pick up Michael and Karen from the airport around 9:30am. He picked them up then they went and rented a car. Michael & Karen drove it home while Bob went to Sam’s Club to get more stuff. Rob & Beth came over with the two little ones in the afternoon. Everyone had fun visiting. I made three more fruit pies and a chocolate pie and cooked all the pies that I’d made earlier and froze. Stephenie fixed baked potatoes for supper, we ate, Rob and his family went home, and the boys cleaned up the kitchen. My foot was killing me to be on it so I didn’t get a bunch of stuff done that I wanted to. Bob helped me—he made the cherry cheesecake, the fruit salad and the cranberry salad. Dorias and her family got here after 9:30pm. I went to bed around 10. Michael and Charles left around 10:30 to go pick up Bonnie and Jarom at the airport. Thursday was Thanksgiving Day. I fixed sourdough waffles for breakfast. It was the missionaries’ P-Day so we had 26 people for breakfast. After we got all that cleaned up, I made a stuffing; Karen made a veggie stuffing; Mark stuffed the turkey with my stuffing, then we put it and a ham in the oven to cook. I made the green bean casserole, the hot rolls and the gravy; Bonnie made the sweet potato casserole; Eric made the regular potatoes; and Bob cut the turkey and ham. Robbie brought three pumpkin pies and a chocolate pie. While everything was finish cooking, Bob mowed a diamond in the front yard to play kickball, but they couldn’t find a ball that wasn’t flat so they ended up playing some other game. The weather was great—in the 70’s. We feed 32 for Thanksgiving dinner. We should have had 38, but Dan and his family didn’t come (Dan was working off shore), Evan was working on a rig in west Texas, and Matthew was off at school. Later Tonia brought Seth, Katie, and Madison over to visit. The kids all had a lot of fun and the volume was unbelievable. I went and laid down for a while. Afterwards we all just sat around and visited. Some of the guys watched football on TV. Lauren and Landon spent the night. Friday morning we woke up to rain. Eric and Angela fixed eggs and bacon for breakfast. Robbie brought Emma and Eden over a little later. When the rain stopped, Bob, Mark, Robbie, Michael & Karen, Eric, Charles, and Landon went shooting guns. It was a miracle that Karen went!! She is so anti-gun. Before she wouldn’t even let Michael go shooting. They all had fun. Bonnie and Dorias fixed Sloppy Joes for lunch. In the afternoon some took naps, some played pool, some watched TV, some went shopping, and some just sat around and visited. A little before 4 we all left for Jump Extreme—a wonderfully fun place for both kids and adults. Tonia and her kids met us there. I had reserved the whole place for two hours. We had a few injuries and a BUNCH of laughs. We were all totally exhausted when the two hours was up. Bob stopped by Mr. Jim’s Pizza on the way home and picked up 12 large pizzas for supper. After we ate, the kids played and the adults sat around and visited. Tonia and the kids went home a little later. Eric, Angela & Aaron followed Robbie and Beth and their kids home and spent the night with them. Saturday morning Dorias fixed German Pancakes. It had been a long while since I’d had them. We had a baptism in Granbury that Bob had to attend. Dorias and Karen went with him to help with the music. In the meantime, Stephenie made lunch for all of us then we all loaded up the cars and met at the Church in Granbury. Robbie and his family got there soon afterwards. After the baptism, we all left for Glen Rose to go to the Fossil Rim Wildlife Center. Robbie brought his truck so some of us could ride in the back. We also had Dorias’, Robbie’s, Stephenie’s, and the vehicle that we rented. We had so much fun feeding the animals. One of the ostriches thought my pinky was food and tried to eat it. We got some really good pictures. Half way through we stopped and had a picnic lunch then continued through the park. We had originally planned on going over to Robbie’s afterwards and having a bonfire and roast hotdogs and do s’mores, but it was just too cold. So we just came back to our house and grilled hamburgers and hotdogs and ate leftovers. Stephenie got a call from Evan. He was on his way home so she packed up, the boys helped load her van, and she and the kids were on their way back to Tomball. The rest of us cleaned up. Robbie and his family left shortly thereafter. I went to bed and the rest played “Apples to Apples”. Stephenie called around midnight to tell us that she had made it home safely. Sunday morning Charles fixed cold cereal for breakfast. Besides that, we ate cold pizza and the rest of the pies. I did the ward bulletin then went and ran it off at the Stake Trailers. We all left a little after 10 for Church in Granbury. It was so good to have most of my kids with me. Dorias and her family had to leave after Sacrament Meeting for Boerne. Michael, Karen and Charles left to take Bonnie and Jarom home. Aaron was tired so I brought Eric and Angela home. We all ate leftovers then Bonnie and Jarom packed and Michael took them to the airport. I laid down and took a nap. Michael was home when I got up. Bonnie texted Charles and said that their flight had been cancelled due to wind so they got booked on a later flight. I burnt DVD’s of all the pictures of our Thanksgiving Week for all 8 kids and myself while we watched “Groundhog Day”. Michael put the Christmas tree up while Karen fixed a very good vegetarian soup and a salad for all of us for supper. Bob finally got home around 6. That evening we visited and watched “Dan in Real Life”. Eric, Angela and Charles packed. Karen made cookies then we all went to bed. This morning Bob took Eric, Angela, Aaron, & Charles to the airport for a 7:15 flight. When the rest of us got up, we started washing bedding and doing laundry and cleaning up the place. Karen decorated the Christmas tree and I put some of our Christmas decorations out. Sister Rie Stevens came to visit. She served her mission here about this time last year. Michael and Karen packed up and left for the airport around 1pm. Our house is quiet!

No comments: