Monday, April 18, 2011


Monday, April 18, 2011

Dear Friends and Family,

I can’t believe April is already half over!  Last Monday afternoon I made a cherry pie, an apple pie, and a lemon meringue pie for Empty Nester’s FHE.  It had been years since I’d made meringue, but it worked.  While they were cooking, I mended two shirts and a pair of slacks for Elder Stanworth.  Trish called and wanted me to go to supper with her and Marilyn at Mongolian Grill.  I didn’t really want to go because I didn’t feel great and I wasn’t really hungry, and I had to get the house cleaned for Empty Nester’s FHE.  She talked me into it.  I didn’t eat much and just got to feeling more and more tired.  We decided to cancel FHE.  I went home and went straight to bed—I didn’t even get undressed.  I slept for 13 hours.

I felt better when I got up on Tuesday.  Trish wanted me to go to breakfast so I got cleaned up and went.  We stayed and visited until after 11 and then Marilyn, Trish, and I went up to the nursing home to see Charlene Pope.  She had her new knee put in on April 7 and was doing so much better.  We stayed until 2 visiting with her.  Sugar was sure glad to see me when I got home.  Jorge was working on the yard.  I read on my book for about an hour and then Brian Payne came over with his daughter, Faye, to visit.  I read a little bit more and then got ready to take Michael to Texas de Brazil in Fort Worth for his 32nd birthday.  (Karen and Megan were still in Indiana).  We had an enjoyable evening together.  I went to bed shortly after I got home—I was totally exhausted again.

I was still really tired when I got up Wednesday morning.  I don’t think I would have gotten up if I hadn’t had to go to the temple which I love to do.  I picked up Marsha and we had a wonderful drive and a good day at the temple.  Trish texted me and wanted to meet us afterwards for dinner.  We went to the Olive Garden here in Weatherford.  We had a really nice visit.  Marilyn went also.  Afterwards I came home, read on my “Pretties” book and then went to bed a little after 10 when the missionaries went to bed.  My great nephew, Devon Phillips, entered the MTC that day.  He is going to the Philippians.   I am so proud of him.  He is Cookie’s second grandson to go on a mission.

Joan Wendt (Robbie’s mother-in-law) woke me up a little after 9 on Thursday to tell me that Emma had broken her arm at the Church on Wednesday evening and had had surgery.  It is a good thing that Robbie works for an orthopedic surgeon.  Buck took care of everything—remember Robbie & Beth were on a cruise.  I talked to Buck yesterday and he said that Emma had a pretty bad break.  Her little arm was at a 40° angle and it broke both bones.  Her arm was like Harry Potter’s when the bone was removed—just floppy.  I talked to Robbie last evening.  They will x-ray her again later in the week to see if the bones have slipped.  If so, they will have to go back in and put a rod in her arm.
I was really tired again on Thursday—could barely function.  I did put a big pot of Chicken Tortilla Soup on for the missionaries and finished reading “Pretties” and started reading “Specials”.  I really had trouble concentrating though.  Bob did call me from England.  I also talked to Bonnie, Stephenie, and Dorias during the afternoon.  AND the missionaries washed all the Oak pollen off of my car that I got while in Boerne last week.  I was so tired that I decided to go to bed at 8 that evening.

I got up at 7 Friday morning—still tired.  I went to breakfast with the gang at IHOP.  When I got home, I did the laundry and hemmed a pair of pants for Elder Stanworth.  Then the power went out.  It was out for over four hours due to the 50+mph winds.  I heard that a wildfire was blazing near Possum Kingdom Lake in Palo Pinto County.  Bob got in around 4.  He said it was an interesting landing with all the wind.  He had an enjoyable trip, but was glad to be home.  The hummingbirds finally made it back—about a month late.  I finished my book “Specials” that evening.  I talked to Dorias a few times during the day.

Saturday morning the air was full of smoke from the fires raging in the next county over.  Bob and I went for a ride then came home.  It was too smoky to see anything.  Bob worked on our income taxes all day long.   I did the ward bulletin and some other stuff on my computer.  I took a nap, started the book “Extras” which is part of the “Uglies” series.  I didn’t do much at all during the day.  I did help Bob find stuff for our income taxes. This should have been done in February!  I read on “Extras” until I went to bed.

I got up yesterday morning and got a large ham ready to cook.  Then I got ready to go to Church.  I put the ham in the oven at Church and then ran off the bulletin. Boy our meetings were good.  Afterwards we had our monthly Linger Longer Potluck Dinner.  I got a text from Charles.  He said that they had falling ash at their Chapel in Graham.  The fires are really bad and the wind was up again on Sunday.  Bob came home for a few minutes and then left again.  Gerin Wilde came over to see me.  He should be able to go back on his mission on May 9.  His ankle is healing nicely.  I took a nap after he left and then talked to Dorias, Bonnie, and Robbie.  It was after 10 when Bob got home.  I had been visiting with my missionaries.

"Democracy is two wolves & a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."             - Benjamin Franklin

This morning the wind was up again.  Charles texted me that his school was closed due to all the evacuations from the fires.  I went to breakfast with the gang and left Bob at home.  Afterwards I went to Pack n Mail, the bank, Walgreens, the cleaners, and finally to Walmart.  When I got home, Bob had gone to a dermatology appointment in Fort Worth.  I did my Monday stuff on the computer.  Now I’ll get this off and start cleaning the house and making a treat for Empty Nester’s FHE tonight.

Hope that you have a good week.

No comments: