Monday, December 27, 2010

My Weekly Letter ending 12/27/2010


Monday, December 27, 2010—the last letter of 2010

Today is Dorias & Mark’s 20th anniversary and Michael & Karen’s 8th anniversary.

Dear Friends and Family,

We left last Monday afternoon for Utah.  We had planned on dropping some tamales off at Dan’s house, but he wasn’t there so we left them in our fridge for him to pick up later.  On the way we stopped in Mineral Wells to give Robbie and his family some tamales and then we stopped in Jacksboro to give Charles and his family some tamales.  We had a nice drive.  We noticed that they are drilling oil again due to the prices being so high.  We stopped that evening in Amarillo.  It was a little miserable that night.  Sugar had slept all day long so she wasn’t tired when we got to the hotel.  She kept us up a lot during the night.  She barked or grumbled at every little sound that she heard.

We finally got up at 6 Tuesday morning because we couldn’t sleep even though we were tired.  Sugar slept again all day Tuesday.   When we got to Albuquerque, we turned north and headed for Santa Fe.  We went to my nephew’s, Caleb, place of work and waited for him to get loose for lunch.  We took him out to lunch and had a really nice visit before taking him back to work.  From there we headed on.  It started raining later that afternoon.  We stopped in Cortez, Colorado for supper.  Right after we got back on the road, it started snowing.  It got harder and harder until the road was totally covered and it was hard to see.  The going was slow, but ok.  Before we got to Monticello, Utah, it was raining again.  We were glad to get into our hotel room.  BUT we had no service on our phones.  It is amazing how dependant we get on our phones.  I was lost.   We slept better that night.  We left the TV on so that Sugar didn’t notice all the strange noises.  She only barked a couple times.

We left Monticello Wednesday morning and headed toward the Salt Lake Valley.  It rained a lot of the time and snowed a little, but the roads were fine—just wet.  When we got to Provo, we went by to see what is left of the Provo Tabernacle. It was so sad.  We got to Grandma’s home around 3 that afternoon.  Sugar and Lucy got along very well—I was worried about how they would react to each other.  Grandma has the missionaries living with her now.  She is enjoying them just as much as I enjoy having them live with us.  That early evening the five of us (Grandma, the two missionaries, and Bob & I) went to the Texas Roadhouse for dinner.  Later one of my old missionaries, Erick Hebel, came over to visit.  He stayed quite a while and we had a good visit.  I went to bed after he left.  Since the missionaries have the whole basement, Bob & I had to sleep upstairs so I opened a window and slept really well. 

Thursday morning Bob and Grandma went to do some shopping.  I stayed with the two dogs and read.  Later Eric, Angela and their two kids, Aaron & Kaylee, came over.  They stayed all afternoon.  It was good to visit with them.  Bob’s brother, Steve, also came over.  He and Grandma went and did a little shopping.  It was a pleasant day.  Grandma’s visiting teachers and a neighbor came and brought treats and her Bishop came over for a visit.  He is a good man.  That evening we went over to a Ward Building that Steve had reserved for our family.  All of Steve’s kids and their kids and all of Diane’s kids and their kids were there.  We had a good dinner.  Afterwards the kids did a talent show.  We left to take Grandma home before the deserts were served—she was tired.  Afterwards I read on my book “Star Garden” until I went to bed.  It didn’t seem like Christmas Eve.

We got up Christmas morning and opened our gifts.  I got a new piece of luggage, a new power cord for my iPhone for in the car, and a motion activated gumball machine from Bob.  I got him a really nice iHome, a Bev Doolittle Calendar, and the new book “The Rescue” about President Monson.  Grandma gave me a flashlight and some money; Dorias & Mark gave us a Celtic Women CD; Robbie & Beth gave us a really nice picture frame and some mind teaser games; Stephenie & Evan gave us a little book of her family; Michael & Karen gave us some Christmas lights and some cookies; Eric & Angela gave us a gift card to On the Boarder; and Bonnie & Jarom gave me a pie rack and a fiber optic light.  Cookie gave me a cute little bell that looks like a little teapot.  Bob had Charles digitally copy all of Grandma’s slides for her.  He also had Charles type up and digitize some old Crawford Reunion minutes.  Grandma was really happy to get them.  We then got ready to go over to Wendy & Al’s home for Christmas breakfast.  Kerri made creamed eggs.  She said that her mom, Marjorie, used to make them every Easter and now that she is gone, they make them for Christmas breakfast and other occasions.  When we got back to Grandma’s house, I started cinnamon rolls.  Later Al, Wendy, and Kerri came over.  Al started grilling the ribeyes for us.  Grandma had baked potatoes and made hot rolls.  Just as we were fixing to eat, Steve & Diane and their two girls came over.  We ended up having enough food for everyone.  Later I went in and finished reading “Star Garden” by Nancy E. Turner.   It is the final book in the “These Is My Words” trilogy.  Very good series!

Sunday morning Bob and Grandma went to Church.  I stayed home and slept.  Sugar got sick.  I didn’t do anything all day long—I was really tired.  Cookie and Alton got there around 5 that evening.  Alton then stayed home with Grandma while Bob & I and Cookie went to Draper to have dinner with Eric’s in-laws.  We had a nice meal and visit.  They have a beautiful new house.  They still haven’t sold their BIG house in Holiday. 

This morning Bob took Grandma to do some errands.  When they got home, Cookie and I went to the distribution center, to Bed, Bath & Beyond, to Sam’s Club, and to Don Aslet’s Cleaning Center.  When we got home, Bob had taken Grandma to get a shot in her eye.  When they got home, she went to bed and Bob & Alton went into town.  Cookie and I started watching “Inception”.  Wow that is a different movie.

Well, I need to get this posted so that we can pack.  We are leaving tomorrow.

No comments: