Monday, December 6, 2010

My Weekly Letter ending 12/6/10



Monday, December 6, 2010

Dear Friends and Family,

Last Monday I worked on my blog!  I’m going to try to do better.  If you want to see it, it is www.subell.blogspot.com.   When I went to check my email, I had received an email from Spencer Montgomery letting me know that Elder Dallin Briner from Meridian, Idaho who lived with us from June 24, 2009 until August 5, 2009 was killed in a car accident last Sunday, November 28.  He had only been home from his mission for about four months.  His car went off the road so he got out and tried to dig it out when another car slid off and hit him…. That evening Bob had to go to a business dinner in Fort Worth at Angelo’s.   I stayed home and ate leftovers and watched TV.  Bob got home just as I was fixin to go to bed.

Bob went to Elbit on Tuesday.  I got up and did laundry and remade beds as the sheets got done.  I also threw away all the food in the refrigerators that had sugar in them.  I just kept thinking “Would it look better on me or in the trash?”  I did polish off the last Cherry pie before throwing everything else in the trash.  Now there are no temptations.  I typed up the ward bulletin for Sunday then got ready to go into town.  In town, I went to Walmart, got gas, and then went to get my nails done.  I was sooooo overdue for that.  On the way home, I stopped at Walgreens to pick up an antibiotic for my surgery on Thursday.  When I got home, I talked to Bonnie on the phone then worked on the computer.  www.lds.org has changed and I can’t figure out how to schedule the building.  The new website is fantastic, but way over my head.  I don’t even know if I have the authority to use the scheduling parts anymore.  Bob was home from work just long enough to change cloths and leave again to go up to the Church.  I looked through my pictures and found some of Elder Briner and sent them to his parents.  I watched TV that evening.

Wednesday was temple day. I picked up Sharon and Marsha then we drove into Fort Worth and picked up Theda.  From there we went to the temple.  It was a very pleasant and busy day.  We dropped Theda back off at her car then the three of us went to Logan’s Steakhouse.  When I got home, I watched TV until time to go to bed.

Thursday morning we got up early, got ready, and drove into Fort Worth to the Center for Skin and Cosmetic Dermatology for my surgery.  It went so much easier than last time.  This time they didn’t put me under—just deadened the area with LOTS of shots.  They were able to get all the cancer in two tries.  I thought it was interesting that they let Bob stay in and observe.  He said it was really interesting watching him sew me up afterwards.  We were done by 11:30.  Bob and I stopped at Souper Salad on the way home for lunch.  When we got home, I slept the rest of the day.  That evening Bob and I watched “How to Train Your Dragon” and “Knight and Day” then he went to bed.  I had to sleep in the recliner which I did not like.  And I didn’t sleep very well.

Friday I didn’t even get dressed.  I slept most of the day while Bob went to work at Elbit.  I did get up and fix supper.  Don’t ever get the Tyson boneless Buffalo Wings—they are nasty.  That evening I worked a little on calendaring then watched TV.  I was supposed to sleep in the recliner again, but I didn’t.


Saturday morning I took the big bandage off of my incision.  The steri-strips came off with it.  The surgeon did a really good job.  It is about ¾ inches long going up and down over my right eyebrow.  I have to keep it dry for about 1 ½ more weeks until I get the stitches out.  That afternoon Bob and I cleaned the house.  He did all the floors and I did the dusting, three of the bathrooms, and the kitchen.  Later because I couldn’t get my incision wet, Bob washed my hair for me.  I crawled up on the kitchen counter and laid there while he washed it like I did when I was a little girl and my mom would wash my hair—no, I didn’t get a picture.  We then met Don & Trish and Jack & Judy at the Brazos River Catfish Café  for dinner.  When we walked in, I saw Mr. and Mrs. McWhorter.  She was Bonnie and Charles’ first grade teacher at Sam Houston Elementary here in Weatherford.  You couldn’t ask for a better teacher than she was.  She loved those kids like they were her own grandkids.  She had a rocker in her room and if one of her kids needed loves, she would sit and love them.  It was so good to talk to her.  We had a nice evening with our friends.


Sunday morning I slept in.  Then I rushed and got ready for Church.  They changed the speed limit on Bethel Road.  It is now 50mph instead of 60mph.  I don’t think it will cause any fewer accidents.  People are still going to try to pass those going slower than they want to go and the road is too windy and hilly to pass on and it has a double yellow line most of the time.   Our meetings went well.  Afterwards all four missionaries came over here to eat.  I hadn’t planned on them coming so I told them to fend for themselves.  Elder Collins was a chef before he was a missionary so he found some deer sausage and some hamburger and such.  He fixed a pretty good supper.  After they left, I watched the First Presidency’s Christmas Devotional.  Bob got home shortly thereafter.  I went to bed.  I was tired—as usual.

Today is Elder Burt’s 21st birthday.  When I got up, I went into town and got six big Ribeyes and six big baker potatoes for dinner tonight.  When I got home, I cleaned up the kitchen.  Jorge is outside cutting down my blackberry bushes and asparagus plants.  They should both do better next season.  We didn’t get any pecans this year—don’t know why.  Our persimmon tree did pretty well.  With Jorge working on our orchard, we should do better next year in the fruit department.  We did lose four trees this year—we don’t know why to that either.

Hope that you have a great week.  

1 comment:

Darryl and Cindy Cunningham said...

Thanks for updating Su. I love looking at the pictures of your family and all of your adventures!