Thursday, January 13, 2011

My Weekly Letter ending on 1/10/11







Monday, January 10, 2011

Dear Friends and Family,

I didn’t do much last Monday afternoon.  That evening Bob and I went to Rosa’s Café for supper.  When we got home, Bonnie called and we talked for a while. 

Tuesday morning Bob got up, packed, and drove to the airport to catch a plane to Washington DC.  I got up and went to IHOP for our monthly Breakfast with the Girls.  We had a great turnout and a lot of fun.  On the way home, I stopped at Bed, Bath & Beyond, Walmart, the bank, and the Pure Water Station.  I just piddled around at home for a couple hours then left to go to my doctor’s appointment with my Gastroenterologist.  When I stepped up onto the curb to the sidewalk at his office, I tripped and fell.  I skinned both knees through my pants.  I really hurt.  It took two hours for my appointment: one hour and 50 minutes waiting and 10 minutes with the doctor.  He put me on a new medication.  I can’t tell if it is working yet.  Later Gerin and I went to Rosa’s Café for supper.  Afterwards he went to work and I went home and watched TV for a little bit then went to bed.  I drank too much Diet Coke so I had trouble going to sleep.

When my alarm went off Wednesday morning, I rolled over and went back to sleep.  Bob called me at 8—thank goodness.  I got ready to go to the temple then picked Sharon and Marsha up.  What a day!  Since I am on a new medication and it has to be taken at noon, I set my alarm on my iPhone for each day until I get in the habit of taking it.  Since I was at the temple, I turned my iPhone on silent or vibrate.  We have ongoing training and that day I had training on how to evacuate the building if an emergency occurred.  The training got through just a few minutes before noon.  I was just fixin to go into the ordinance worker’s dressing room, when a sister came out asking if I heard the alarm.  Everyone in the dressing room had heard it and they were wondering if they should evacuate.  I walked in and immediately recognized my iPhone alarm.  I thought that if my iPhone was on silent/vibrate, that the alarm wouldn’t sound.  I was wrong.  Thank goodness I walked in there at that very moment!  Then later I was walking and my toes on my left foot started hurting.  I thought it might have been from my fall the day before.  Then even later, I took my shoe off—there was a cough drop in the toe of my shoe.  Problem fixed.  There was a couple more things, but I cannot talk about them.  We had a nice drive home.  Jim met Marsha, Sharon, and I at On the Boarder for supper.  Afterwards he took Marsha home and I took Sharon.  I went to bed soon after I got home.

Thursday I just couldn’t get out of bed.  I was so tired.  I did talk to Dorias for about an hour and a half that morning.  I finally got up and went into town.  I went to Super Save and to Walmart.  When I got home, I got two large briskets in to marinating.  Later I went back into town to the Pure Water Station and got a countertop stand, a crock, and a 5 gallon bottle of water.  We are going to start drinking bottled water.  When I got home, I watched TV until time to go to bed.  I put the two briskets in the Crock Pot to start slow cooking.

Friday morning I got up and cleaned out two of my kitchen cupboards then got 10 pounds of potatoes in to cooking for potato salad.  Bob called.  He was catching an earlier flight home from Washington DC.  Gerin helped take down the Christmas tree and I got all that stuff put away.  I then finished making the potato salad and started hot rolls.  I talked to both Bonnie and Dorias that afternoon on the phone.  Later Charles, Amber & Sadie came over followed by Robbie, Beth, Lauren, Landon, Emma, & Eden; Michael, Karen & Meagan; Steven Davis (visiting from Maryland); and finally Dan, Tonia, Seth, Katie, Madison, & Reagan.  We had a nice dinner together.  Afterwards Charles, Amber, Michael, Karen, and Steven played a new game that Michael & Karen got for Christmas.  When they were done, we all watched most of the slides that Charles had digitized.  It was fun seeing the kids when they were much younger.  Later everyone went home.  Bob and I cleaned up the kitchen and then went to bed.

Bob got up early Saturday morning and drove to SMU to teach his class.  I got up later, packed, and headed out for the Houston area.  I got to Bonnie & Jarom’s house around 2:15.  We went to eat at Pho Saigon.  Afterwards they took me to show me where Bonnie works and where Jarom works.  When we got back to their place, we downloaded all the slides to Bonnie’s computer then watched them together.  We just visited the rest of the evening—they don’t have a TV.

Sunday morning we woke up to rain.  We went to Bonnie’s ward—Nottingham Country Ward in the Katy Stake.  Stephenie went to the same ward when they lived in Katy. Bonnie was sustained as the new......  Let’s go back about two weeks.  The Bishop called Bonnie and Jarom into his office.  He visited with them a while then asked them what callings they’d had in the past and what they would like to do in this new ward.  Bonnie told him that they had been in the Primary ever since they have been married, so she really didn’t want to work in the Primary, but she would do any calling that he wanted.  The Bishop dropped it and went on with their conversation.  About 15 minutes later he turned to Jarom and asked “Would you support your wife as the new Primary President?”  Bonnie just about died, but accepted.  I know she will do a great job.  It was interesting how she picked her counselors.  Since they are new and she didn’t really know anyone, the Bishop gave her a list of people that she could choose from—if she wanted to.  Well, she didn’t know the people on the list so she looked them up on Facebook and checked them out.  After Sacrament Meeting I went to Sunday School and Relief Society.  They have a good ward.  When we got home, we ate a snack then later Bonnie & Jarom fixed a nice dinner.  That evening we just visited.  Dorias and the twins got there around 8:30 that evening. We stayed up and visited even more.  We finally went to bed.

This morning we got up and got ready to go to Stephenie’s for her surprise birthday.  Bob called me from the airport.  He was on his way to Alabama to do some consulting.   Bonnie and Jarom drove in their car, Dorias and the twins drove in their car, and I drove my car.  We stopped off at H.E.B and picked up 36 helium balloons that we’d preordered plus two fancy balloons. We got to Stephenie’s house a little after 11.  She was totally surprised.  We had made arrangements for a sitter for Spencer & Nathan and Richard & Robert.  We kept Gavin with us.  After we dropped the boys off, we went to Saltgrass Steak House for an amazing lunch. It was topped off by decadent desserts which we did not need, but were so good. Stephenie was on cloud nine.  Later Bonnie and I went to pick up Taneal, Camie, and Danielle at school.  They were surprised that we were there.  The kids had fun playing with all the helium balloons.  Dorias fixed supper so that Stephenie didn’t have to.  After supper and everything was cleaned up, Dorias and the twins left to go back to Boerne and Bonnie & Jarom left to go back to Katy.  I stayed.

What a wonderful week and especially weekend!

No comments: