Monday, May 2, 2011
Dear Friends and Family,
I’m still in South Jordan, Utah.
Last Monday I did my usual Monday stuff on the computer. I also got the ward bulletin ready for yesterday. I read on my Kindle all afternoon. Diane called to see if I wanted to go to dinner with her and Steve. I met them at Texas Roadhouse at 5, we ate, and then I came on back to Grandma’s. I got an email from my cousin, Peggy, telling us that my cousin, Doug, isn’t up to company so I guess Cookie and I won’t be going to California in May. But I already have my ticket so I’ll still come up here. We might go up to Idaho to see Cookie’s X-sister-in-law and I’m still going to Elder Pope’s wedding. I read on my book until I went to bed. Bob called me several times during the day. He got the results back from his biopsy on his arm—it is melanoma. But they think they got it all in the biopsy. He has to go back to make sure.
Tuesday would have been my Dad’s 91st birthday. I was sitting in Grandma’s office looking out the window at the pretty blossoming pear trees when all of a sudden two beige ducks flew by about six feet off the ground. At least I think they were ducks. It was awesome. I read on my book and then happened to look out the window again. I thought the blossoms were blowing off the trees. But then I noticed that the wind wasn’t blowing—it was huge snowflakes. This isn’t TEXAS. I finished reading “Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption” by Laura Hillenbrand that early afternoon. It is the story of Louis Zamperini’s life. It was an excellent book. Then I started reading “The Maze Runner” by James Dashner. I didn’t get far before I decided to take a nap. I was really bored and didn’t want to read when I got up so I finally turned on the TV and watched it until time to go to bed. I did talk to Bob several times during the day and texted Cookie a few times.
Wednesday morning I finally got in touch with my niece, Stacy. I also talked to Bob and texted Nathen Pope and Cookie. When I finally got up, I got ready and drove down to the Provo area to have lunch with Stacy. I had a wonderful lunch and visit with her. We ate at The Sizzler. Her oldest son, Dakotah, will be getting married in the SLC Temple on August 9 (he went on a mission to Switzerland); her second son, Danley, is going to school; and her third son, Devon, is in the MTC in Provo fixin to go to The Philippines on a two year mission. I am so proud of those boys. I read on my book for a while and then watched TV the rest of the evening.
Thursday morning I did laundry and read until Cookie got here from Huntington. We went to Subway for lunch and then we went to Walmart. When we got home, we just talked and talked. And then talked some more.
Friday was the Royal Wedding of Prince William and Kate. We watched it or at least reruns of it. Later we went into town. We went to Walmart, PetsMart, Target, the Verizon store and Sam’s Club. When we got home, I started putting my old pictures of Stacy on a flash drive. When we got that done, we watched TV and talked until after midnight. It snowed off and on all day long, but didn’t cover.
Saturday would have been my Grandma Danley’s 115th birthday. Everything was white with snow when we got up. Cookie and I cleaned out some of Grandma’s cupboards in the kitchen and then I copied all my pictures of Cookie and her family onto a flash drive. We then went shopping: Walmart, Verizon Store, and then lunch at Souper Salad. Our Souper Salad at home is so much nicer and bigger than the one here. We sat there and visited for a long while. Then we had to go back to the Verizon Store to find out Cookie’s iTunes password so she could download apps to her new iPhone 4. After that we went to Bed Bath and Beyond and to Best Buy. When we got home, we downloaded some apps and just messed around doing nothing much. It was really cold, but didn’t snow anymore. I talked to Bob. He is done with SMU for this semester! We watched TV until time to go to sleep.
Sunday, yesterday, was May Day. I remember celebrating it when I was a little girl. They don’t do that anymore. Cookie and I just lounged around all day. She fixed us a nice breakfast and I fixed us a nice supper. In the afternoon we started watching the latest Harry Potter DVD, but we didn’t like it. So, we watched the new Narnia movie. That was good. I hadn’t seen either one at the theatre. Grandma called to check on us. Bob called a couple times. He flew to Detroit in the late afternoon for a convention. It was really really raining in Weatherford. We needed it so much. We watched TV last evening until we fell asleep.
This morning someone from the mission is coming to inspect Grandma’s missionaries’ place (the basement). They have been cleaning on it all morning. Lucy is doing great. I think she is losing weight, but that is ok. She doesn’t seem as depressed as she was. Bob called me this morning from Detroit. He thinks this trip was probably a waste.
Well, I’ll get this on its way. Cookie and I are going shopping (mostly looking) as soon as the mission people leave. Hope that you have a good week. Grandma gets home late next Monday!
No comments:
Post a Comment