Monday, May 30, 2011 (Memorial Day—observed)
Dear Friends and Family,
Wow what a week. Last Tuesday morning Cookie and I were still in Vallejo, California. We packed up and left for Oakland and attended an Endowment session in the Oakland Temple. That is a huge temple. I think that I like the small ones better. After that we headed for Utah. We stopped in Tracy at the In-n-Out Burger place. My brother, Dick, has always bragged on these hamburgers. I’d only eaten one about 15 years ago and wasn’t impressed. This time—I was impressed. It was really good. Then we kept on going to Winnemucca, NV. Now that was an experience. We didn’t know how far that we could make it that day so we didn’t make reservations ahead of time. Big mistake. We ended up staying in this little hole because everything else was full. This place was clean, but I really felt insecure. There was no way to lock the door so I pushed a recliner in front of the door so slow anyone down if they tried to get in. Before doing that, we went to find something to eat. We wanted a sit down dinner, but couldn’t find anything so we ended up getting Subway sandwiches.
Wednesday morning we woke up nice and rested. We didn’t hear a single thing all night long so I guess it was ok. We ate the other half of our Subways then hit the road again. We had a nice drive. When we got back to SLC, we went to the Distribution Center and to Jordan Landing for lunch at Kneaders and some other stores in there. From there we went to Grandma’s house in South Jordan. We were so tired! We didn’t do much of anything the rest of the day.
Thursday we started the day off right with a trip to Leatherby’s for ice cream. We took Grandma with us. That evening Cookie and I drove to Kaysville to the wedding dinner of Nathen Pope and Roxanne. Pope was a missionary that lived with us a couple years ago. It was a Texas BBQ held in a friend’s barn. It was fantastic. There must have been 200 people there. The food was great and the company friendly. Pope has a really nice family.
Friday morning we got up early and drove to the Bountiful Temple to witness Pope and Roxanne’s sealing. Pictures were taken afterwards. Then Cookie and I went to Kneaders again for lunch. That evening we drove back to Bountiful for the reception. It was well attended. Two of my missionaries came—Spencer Montgomery and Erick Hebel. There was another missionary that had been to our house, but hadn’t lived with us. They had crepes for refreshments that we built ourselves. Very good. We packed when we got back to Grandma’s. We were exhausted.
Saturday morning Grandma took us to IHOP for breakfast. Later, Cookie took me to the airport. I flew from SLC to LAX to El Paso and to DFW. I was tired. Bob picked me up. When we got home, Dorias’ family, Stephenie’s family, Eric’s family, and Bonnie & Jarom were there along with Dan’s family, Michael’s family and Charles’ family. We all visited and then Matthew went home with Charles and Seth stayed here for the night.
Yesterday was Dan’s 35th birthday and Dan & Tonia’s 12th anniversary. That morning Robbie’s family, Dan’s family, Michael’s family, and Charles’ family met us all at Church. All 40 of us were there. We took up 3 ½ middle rows. It was neat seeing all 8 of my kids, all 8 of my spouse kids, and all 22 of my grandkids there. AND there are two more on the way—Eric & Angela and Charles & Amber. Some of us went home after Sacrament Meeting and others stayed the whole three hours. Those that went home early had to help prepare our meal and get the kitchen cleaned—again. Robbie had brought 25 pounds of smoked brisket and I had made a potato salad with 10 pounds of potatoes. I got in and made a triple batch of my hot rolls. When Bob got home he cooked the corn-on-the-cob. In the meantime, Dorias made a birthday cake for Dan. It was sure noisy around here, but everyone had fun. Thank goodness our house is big enough and the weather was good enough outside for the kids to play. We took a break and most of us went to Brock to see the progress of Dan’s new home. When we got back to the house, everyone was hungry again so I made waffles (8 x recipe) for everyone. It was late before we all got to bed. Matthew went home with Charles again and Seth & Madison spent the night here.
This morning everyone was back again for family pictures. Marsha Norwood came over to take the pictures. She is so good. We used her camera along with Robbie’s, Karen’s, and Tonia’s. We took them outside and they turned out nice. After the pictures, we all went to Braum’s for ice cream. After lunch, Dorias, Stephenie, and Bonnie packed up and headed home. Later Charles, Robbie, Michael and Dan went home. Eric stayed. They will be here for about two weeks. Later, Eric & Angela went out to dinner with Dan & Tonia. We watched Aaron & Kaylee for Eric.
Hope that you have a good week.
Dorias & Mark—Matthew, Rebecca, Richard & Robert
Robbie & Beth—Lauren, Landon, Emma & Eden
Stephenie & Evan—Taneal, Camie, Danielle, Spencer, Nathan, & Gavin
Dan & Tonia—Seth, Katie, Madison, & Reagan
Michael & Karen—Megan
Eric & Angela—Aaron & Kaylee (one due November 18)
Bonnie & Jarom
Charles & Amber—Sadie (one due November 27)
No comments:
Post a Comment